What is this?
A brief outline for how to use Q-Sys for musical purposes, like building a synthesizer or playing musique concrète in an acousmatic project.
Maybe many of you have thought about this before, but I just recently took a first look at Q-Sys and the components available in Q-Sys Designer.
They include classic synth elements like a sine generator, pink noise generator, delays, filters and a low frequency oscillator that may modulate anything, e. g. pitch. It is possible to build feedback loops, split signals, mix them any way you like with the matrix mixers, and so on.
Sadly, I do not have a QSC core at home, or else I would already have built a basic synth, maybe with a midi-controller-like UCI. There used to be a virtual core, but it has been discontinued and never offered audio processing.
I would like to be able to test everything in Q-Sys Designer in Emulate mode with a virtual core, including audio signal flow pathways. Everything is much easier when you can actually hear the result. This would make the tutorials more fun (so far, I have had a look at the two level zero courses, and may specify in control 101 later, as it seems to be the most interesting course with regards to building synths or other nerdy fun applications. For example, you may be able to combine an anemometer with some synth parameter like note length, pitch or delay, and have different sounds depending on the day's weather. The possibilites could be endless...).
Has anyone done this yet? I would love to see and hear it in action.
I can also see how Q-Sys could be a fantastic tool for any acousmatic sound projects (musique concrète played on many loudspeakers in the same room, where each speaker is individually programmable).
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen