Samstag, 22. April 2023

Dwarf keyboard for jazz musicians with tiny hands

 I would like to have a keyboard with

- white keys half the size 
and
- black keys 2/3 the size

of a Novation UltraNova keyboard. It should span 5 octaves and have both MIDI and 6.3 mm balanced L+R jack outputs.

Case in point:

E7b9.

With my tiny hands, I cannot play this on an UltraNova without playing at least one unintended extra key and risking hand damage (see picture). In my opinion, this is yet another case of gender bias in product design.

I am the T-Rex of jazz music

To those who claim that this is doable with more practice: It is not really practical, since I do not have the required anatomy! Everything on a keyboard with dimensions for standard male hands and players is easier if you have big hands and becomes very tedious when you have lady hands. On the Ultranova, my hand spans a ninth without cramps, a tenth is only possible with cramps and will not sound good because I cannot play it with ease. However, if I intend to use all five fingers at once, the maximum interval span gets shorter because I need to crook all my fingers to use all five keys. To be limited by design flaws is not amusing.

I have been told that some Casio models have smaller keys. I have yet to find out if any keyboard according to my wishes exists. If not, I would like to see it made, to make jazz music life for children and people with small hands easier.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen